EADSM Expert for Board Diplomate
The next qualified exam and board exam will take place at the annual meeting along with the German society, in Düsseldorf.
All candidates must submit the application, documents required and payment between April 1st to August 1st 2023.
After evaluation of the process, an approval or no approval letter will be sent.
subscribe for EADSM Expert exam
EADSM Expert rewarded with EADSM Fellowship will be granted provided the applicant can prove clinical excellence in dental sleep medicine after being granted EADSM Accreditation. A non-refundable application fee of 550 € will be required in order to be eligible to sit for the EADSM Expert examination. Your application will only be assessed on receipt of the full examination fee and a strict adherence to application deadlines will be adopted. The examination will be judged on both “template assessment” and a “face to face”/ “viva” examination (first “template assessment”, and only it is deemed apt, will the candidate be invited to the face to face examination).
All submissions in English and please do note that EADSM will not take care of translations.
For being eligible for taking the EADSM expert level the candidate has to meet the following requirements:
- being able to demonstrate that he/she has 5 or more years of Dental Sleep Medicine experience (for example with a letter of reference of a physician who collaborates with the candidate).
- Having demonstrable training in Sleep Medicine and/or Dental Sleep Medicine or assistance to congresses in the field. All together must arrive to 50 hours (please, send the program of the congresses/courses and the certificate of attendance).
- Being accredited in Dental Sleep Medicine either having passed the entry level exam of EADSM or by one National Society in Dental Sleep Medicine affiliated to EADSM (please, send the accreditation certificate) .
- Candidates for taking the exam can be from European countries or from abroad as long as they are EADSM full members. In case of too many candidates applied one year, European candidates will have priority. Non-European candidates will have to pass the EADSM entry level exam before applying for the Expert level accreditation.
The candidate needs to submit 10 cases of patients treated by him/her with oral appliances for Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
The EADSM case presentation template is obligatory to be used for all 3 patients (Click here for a preview) and will be send to the candidate after registration and acceptance for the EADSM Expert evaluation. The candidates need to use this template provided in Word-format for easy scanning and assessment for each patient separately. All cases subsequently to be sent as pdf-format and all cases need to be anonymized.
We use the treatment success definition of 50% reduction of AHI and final AHI <10, without daytime somnolence.
Three (3) separate cases have to be submitted, strictly adhering to the following case submission criteria, each case to be clearly identified as either:
- A maximum of 2 of them can be pediatric cases, but it is not necessary to present pediatric cases.
- At least one of them (and no more than 2) has to be a patient in which the treatment was not successful.
- The 3 cases must be presented in a comprehensive way (according to guide). At least 2 of these three cases must be of adult patients, one of them has to be a not successful case and the other 2 have to be successful ones.
- The members of the accreditation committee will choose one of the three fully presented cases, to be exposed in a presentation of 20 minutes before the tribunal.
The clinical cases must closely adhere to the following criteria:
- All cases to have a pre treatment AHI >5/hr confirmed by PSG / overnight polygraphy, which should be provided.
- At least 5 cases must have moderate-severe OSA (AHI >=15/hr), showing a post treatment AHI <10/hr and reduced by at least 50%, with subjective improvements in associated symptoms such as snoring and EDS.
- Post treatment AHI should be <10/hr and reduced by at least 50%, with subjective improvements in associated symptoms such as snoring and EDS
- Pre and post treatment PSG / polygraphy must be sent (All the exam report must be scanned). They must be interpreted by a Physician (written confirmation).
- Details of follow up assessments must be included. Patients should have been followed for a minimum of 12 months.
- Copies of original documents to be included (i.e. Respiratory Physician letters and polygraphy reports) together with translations into English.
Notification of outcome
- Candidate results will be communicated by email after the examiners meeting.
- EADSM Expert, once obtained, needs be to maintained
You need to be an ‘EADSM Accreditation’s accredited member and a full member, to apply for the EADSM Expert exam.
You need to register for the exam including submission of the required documents, prior to submitting the 10 patient cases. Once admitted for being a candidate to take the exam, you should send the 10 cases together, and the Accreditation Committee will need 2 months to review them and send comments or suggestions if required. Only when the cases are accepted will the candidate be offered a date for the face to face exam. The face to face exam can be either in person or online.
Once the candidate has been considered qualified for entering the Expert level accreditation, he/she will have to pay 550 € for which an invoice will be sent to email@example.com. That money will not be refundable, even if the candidate does not arrive to send the cases in a way that the Accreditation Committee accepts them for being evaluated. There will be a maximum time of one year for presenting the 10 cases after the possible necessary corrections that the Accreditation Committee could suggest. If the candidate does not present all of them before that deadline, he/she would lose the 550 €. If the candidate wants to extend the deadline for another year, he/she would have to pay 250 € extra (not refundable).
The non-refundable registration fee for the EADSM Expert exam is 550 €, After receipt of your payment, the examination Board will proceed with your request.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions or want more information.